EVENT REVIEW: Kids In America Party at Blue Bird

by Mallory Wesley

What: Kids in America Party

When: June 27, 2014, 6:00pm

Where: Blue Bird (6635 Delmar in the Loop)

With the most anticipated summer event in just a few days I’m sure you’re all wondering what to wear for your upcoming lake trip or most importantly to see the fireworks. At least for me I know that I’ve been searching for that perfect National Anthem look (a la Lana Del Ray, one of my fashion idols). Blue Bird Apparel, located at 6635 Delmar blvd in the Loop, has just the thing to help you dec out with red, white, and blue in the most fashionable way.  Friday, June 27th Blue Bird Apparel hosted their “Kids in America” party showcasing their best Independence Day dreads complete with a body bar and DJ. 

One of the most popular items was their high-waisted denim cutoff shorts adorned with festive details. Ranging from a little over $40 to $60, you can pair these with one of Blue Bird's breezy embellished tees at about $20 for a cool and casual 4th of July ensemble for under $100. Or go for the owner's favorite 4th of July look with a solid red pair of denim shorts with a festive crop top.

If you’re looking for something a bit more daring, might I suggest these amazing red sequined leather leggings, or a bold firework inspired tea length dress. They even have a sheer, red and blue shimmer crop top, complete with hood; pairing perfectly with their long red, white, and blue patterned cotton pants. 


Blue Bird also has a vast selection of fashions for the rest of summer with kimonos that serve as great cover-ups, an array of flower crowns to sport the festival trend, and a rainbow of crop tops for all the hot and humid days to come. 

Some of my favorite items were their feminine take on the classic jersey, and the bright and comfy shorts fit for any occasion. 

But don’t forget the accessories! Around the store you can find several head wraps, funky jewelry and with unique “sunnies” at only $12 a piece or 2 for $20 they are hard to pass up!

Blue Bird 6.jpg

They even have a whole rainbow of candy colored lipsticks, if you are brave enough to try this hot new runway beauty trend! 

Blue Bird creates 40% of their designs and gathers the other 60% from local, underground, and independent designers. That means that shopping here you will not only get a unique look you’ll also be supporting St. Louis fashion. One of their most notable featured designers is the St. Louis brand Victorla.  

So if you are shopping for a fabulous 4th of July outfit, wondering what to pack for that awaited vacation, or just looking to add some “weird” to your summer fashion go check out Blue Bird The Boutique on Delmar in the Loop and support local St. Louis fashion! I know I’ll be back soon!

P.S.: Thanks Blue Bird for helping me find my perfect National Anthem look and happy 4th of July everyone!!